Monday, January 29, 2007

Mult Co Dems feature Jim Hightower

On Friday night, the Multnomah County Dems held a fundraiser for their organization over in SE Portland at the Melody Ballroom.

The fundraiser featured a spaghetti dinner (of which I didn't partake--I was there gratis on a press pass so I figured eating their food was bad form...except for one lemon bar which I snuck when the waitstaff forced it on me) and some high falutin' cowboy talk from radio commentator Jim Hightower. Hightower was the keynote speaker for the event.



Here's Jim yakking it up with one of the event attendees before his address. He's got that whole Texas thing going on: hat, boots, accent, sperm jokes about Tom DeLay.


I managed to snap some more highly amateurish photographs....


This event was my big chance to meet Congressman Earl Blumenauer face-to face, who is chatting in this pic with Meredith Wood-Smith, the current Vice Chair of the Oregon Democratic Party and contender for DPO Chair. The young dude with the glasses is one of the Congressman's policy guys who gave me his card which I promptly lost, of course (still figuring out how to do this reporter stuff, I guess).







The event came complete with lots of pro-Dem/anti-GOP paraphernalia, including this stand of bumperstickers, which were for sale.







The Melody Ballroom...full of lefties chowing down on pasta and red sauce (except me).

According to Multnomah County Dems Communication Secretary Sue Hagmeier, the MCD's raised about $6000.