Monday, March 13, 2006

The bizarre big boom heard 'round the region--what the hell was it?

Saturday evening after finishing a long day of hauling kids, doing housework and running errands--I sat in the chair to put my feet up. As I began to relax...I heard a rumbling noise, and noticed that the dog door flap was rustling back and forth.

Thinking I might have dozed off and was dreaming, I didn't think much about it.

Then I saw this story:

People from the coast all the way to the mountains heard mysterious rumbles Saturday night, so what on earth were they?

No, it was not an earthquake from Mount St. Helens and it was not thunder and lightening.

It seems everyone had their idea what the noises were and nearly everyone had a different opinion about how long it lasted.

A meteor was the best guess from the National Weather Service, but that is unconfirmed.

The Cowlitz County 911 dispatch center told KATU News they heard it was military jets causing sonic booms.



Weird.

Update: From comments comes this story describing a strikingly similar incident in Maine.