Friday, December 22, 2006

Waiting on Walden to do the right thing

Update (5:10PM): Looks like Whelan isn't going to contact us with official comments from Walden, at least for now. I'm guessing the House GOP Leadership won't let Greg off his leash. What a disgrace.

Its not an Oregon-centric story, but the heinous comments made by GOP Congressmen Virgil Goode are causing a stir:

Republican Rep. Virgil Goode (news, bio, voting record) triggered angry responses from a civil rights group and some colleagues with a letter this month to constituents concerned about a decision by Rep.-elect Keith Ellison of Minnesota, the first Muslim elected to Congress, to use the Quran when he is sworn in.

"I will not be putting my hand on the Quran," Goode said at a news conference Thursday at the Franklin County Courthouse.

Goode, who represents Virginia's 5th Congressional District, said he is receiving more positive comments from constituents than negative.

"One lady told me she thinks I'm doing the right thing on this," he told Fox News. "I wish more people would take a stand and stand up for the principles on which this country was founded."

Goode also told Fox News he wants to limit legal immigration and do away with "diversity visas," which he said let in people "not from European countries" and "some terrorist states."


Goode's ravings are bigoted, nasty and completely beneath any member of the United States House of Representatives. His comments bring shame and dishonor to his office.

Yet no Republican has bothered to speak up against Goode's remarks.

A little while I go, I called Oregon Congressman Greg Walden's office in DC. Walden is the lone Oregon Republican in Congress. I spoke with Walden's Press Secretary Andrew Whelan.

I asked Andrew for an official statement from Walden on what Goode has been saying. Whelan stated that he'd need to contact the Congressman and for now he "doesn't know" what Walden's response is to what Goode is saying.

I wondered aloud to Andrew over the phone: "Isn't this a no brainer? After all, these are some pretty heinous comments that Goode is making.".

Whelan reiterated to me that he didn't know the Congressman's stance.

Honestly, how can Walden not know what the right thing is to say here?

I gave Whelan my cell number and email address. Hopefully he'll have a statement from Walden by the end of the day.

Sheesh.